This is a video review of the TDS 18 inch Threaded Dumbbell Handles sold by newyorkbarbell. They are very solid and well built. They should hold 120 lbs of 10 lb one inch weight plates. If you watch the video to the end you will see how you can likely get these to hold 140 lbs.
Edit: Recently updated name to TDS, Amazon link: https://amzn.to/3xwXwgq
Similar handles, different seller (lower price): https://amzn.to/3ivyuK9
- 1-inch sleeve diameter with a 2.4CM handgrip diameter; Dumbbell handle weighs 4.29-pounds
- Medium-depth diamond knurling ensures a tight, non-slip grip when lifting weights; Durable chrome finish prevents dumbbell from oxidizing
- STRENGTH IMBALANCES – Dumbbells force limbs to work unilaterally. Over-compensation is impossible with dumbbells, making them an effective way to eliminate strength imbalances.
- VERSATILE – Dumbbells can be used for a variety of exercises. Due to their size and versatility, they can be used to create a variety of movement patterns to develop task or movement specific strength.
- SAFETY – The knurling on the bar allows your hand to grip the bar securely. These weight plates are secured with Circle-locked collars to prevent them from sliding off during the exercise.
MADE FROM STRONG STURDY MATERIAL
Heavy-duty steel and Rubber o-rings within star-lock collars provide secure lock of weight plates
1 inch diameter solid chrome steel handles & four star collars with rubber trims
Textured handles and flat knobs to comfortably fit arm and prevent from slipping
- Textured handles and flat knobs to comfortably fit arm and prevent from slipping, collars stay tight, textured grips promote secure, comfortable hold.
- Durable without corrosion and rust.
Sturdy and durable training tool for muscular endurance exercises as biceps curl, triceps extension, chest fly, shoulder press, and hamstring curls.
FLEXIBLE WORKOUT: If you need to workouts with different levels of weight plates, you will need an Thread dumbbell handle. It’s a wonderful equipment for a variety of dumbbell exercises to strengthen muscles
FIT 1-INCH STANDARD PLATES: Accommodate all standard fits regular 1inch hole plates, you will receive Two handles and 4 Circle-lock collars are also included
DURABLE: Heavy-duty steel and durable O-ring. Handle with chrome finish won’t flake off, knurled handle prevents slipping, collars stay tight, textured grips promote secure, comfortable hold.
2 – 18 inch Dumbbell Bars
4 – Circle-lock collars
Only the above package content, other products are not included.
Note: Light shooting and different displays may cause the color of the item in the picture a little different from the real thing. The measurement allowed error is +/- 1-3cm.
These are an excellent and essential item to add to a home gym. They are incredibly ideal for those just starting to build out their home gym. 1″ plates are fairly easy to find used. The older 1″ plates tend to fit these handles better versus newer 1″ plates.
The spin locks make it fairly easy to move from weight to weight. If you bought two pair you would have a pretty decent setup to superset or do a dropset.
They should not be dropped for any reason, as the spin lock can break under force and render the handles somewhat useless. You may have success in this instance to go to Walmart and check out their dumbbell handles (14″ is the common pair sold there). One of those spin locks may work on the NYB/TDS handles.
There are now a few sellers on Amazon selling similar 18″ handles. I have not tested those handles. However, price can win the battle for some, so just be sure to have your Prime membership to be able to return what may not work (as long as it was Prime shipped).